Tuesday, May 15, 2012

freckled pears

2/3 of the Danish girls I stayed with. Thanks again, friends! 


my mode of transportation

very typical parking place in Copenhagen
Not wanting to overstay my visit, it was decided that I would stay at Lotte's mother's place until I left to Malmo, Sweden. 

Before meeting up with Lotte to show me the new place, I had two hours to kill around central city. I parked my bike with all my life's worth loosely locked to it, and walked about for around two hours. 
Came back two hours later, stuff was still there.

I even had fruit just hanging in a plastic bag off my bike. No one even tried to take them. 

Thus, Kobenhavn: safest city in the world. 







This picture above probably represents the Danes in their entirety. I giggled a bit at this. The way they hold themselves is actually quite humble and not at all boastful. Where else in America it would probably be something like: BEST BEER IN TEH WORLD, B1TCHESS!!!!!!!11
Oh, and they also allow public drinking. Score. 



Having read the Lonely Planet before coming to Copenhagen (and consequentially being laughed at by the Danes for doing so) my curiousity was drawn to a foodstuff called Smørrebrød, which is actually just open-faced sandwiches. According to Lotte, Cecilie, and Amelie (who I henceforth dub LAC), it's not as popular as it used to be or as the LP book professes. But I still wanted it. So bad. 

So keeping my eye out, I found one the other day! A hole in the wall small cafe that sold this Danish good. Price wasn't bad either, 3 for 32DKK, which is equivalent to around 6 dollars. Believe me. That's cheap in Denmark. 


and so cute!




After a confusing runabout with Lotte, I'm currently residing in Lotte's mothers apartment. Her mom is gone on a business trip for a week, so I get the whole place to myself. How amazing is that! 


And, she's an artist and heavily cultured in music and films... I could just stay in this well-decorated apartment for days :o) 
my favorite of her paintings





honk. 

Band of Horses?? Kings of Convenience?? Who is this woman??




my dinner with a spot of wine. yum de dum



One thing I've noticed about Danish utilities is that everything is efficient and sustainable in design and manner. The rooms are quite small, but created in a way to use up the space efficiently without having to sacrifice the quality of living. Large windows without screens lets light enter the soft white rooms, creating a sense of freshness. 



For cheese's sake, even the pears are efficient in less waste production. (And still tastes wonderful!)
Which makes me a happy lass, because pears are my favorite fruit. And because of it, the Danes eat pears differently. 

insane, I know.

So, for the next couple of days, I'll preparing myself to go to Malmo, Sweden, which is a thirty minute train ride from Copenhagen. While there, I guess that I will legitimately couch surfing. Should be interesting :o)


Oh! And shout out to my friend Katie for getting an internship abroad in South Africa for this summer!! Congrats!




Until the next update: Cheers. 
-Chriss

1 comments:

~Annie said...

Love your bike with all the luggage on it! Also, that pear eating video kills me. :)

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com